The pre-hispanic period
There was formerly an indigenous population called Huey Culhuacan dating back to the tec-pall, which corresponds to the year 628 of our era, the aztec built during his pilgrimage. Are ignorant of its exact location, but it is supposed that he was near the current town of Culiacancito. Here was born in the year 1065 a.d. the cult of Huitzilopochtli, the warrior-god of aztec mythology.8
The city that we know today as Culiacan was founded in 1531 by Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán, under the name of Villa of San Miguel. Upon arrival in the SIXTEENTH century, the Spanish found the existence of small villages organized in indigenous nations by the tribe of the tahues, which brought together a group of people of same origin and language they had a common tradition, and its boundaries were the natural elements, such as rivers, mountains, among others.
Other indigenous peoples who inhabited the original territory of Culiacán, were the tebacas, pacaxes, sabaibo and achires.
After his war of conquest, Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán (1531), organized the territories acquired in three provinces, one of them was the Culiacan that was delimited on the south by the rio Elota and in the north by the rio Mocorito, depending on this of the Kingdom of New Galicia. Organized in this way lasted until 1786, the year in which we implemented the system of municipalities, through Sonora and Sinaloa to form the intendencia of Arizpe, and the old province of Culiacan gave life to the game of the same name with the same jurisdiction.
On the 6th day of October, 1821, jura Independence in Culiacán. It gives Culiacan the category of city, on the 21st day of July, 1823, being separated by a decree of the Congress, the provinces of Sonora and Sinaloa. In 1824, the Constitutive Act of the Mexican Federation, are coming together in Sinaloa and Sonora, forming the state of West. In 1830, are separated in a definitive way the provinces of Sonora and Sinaloa, by decree of October 13, 1830, appointing the capital of the state of Sinaloa city of Culiacán. Later, during the conservative government akin to the Intervention of the French in 1861, they moved to prefectures, and it was decreed the Law of Municipalities that divided the Districts into Municipalities. The District of Badiraguato was abolished and became part of the District of Culiacán as a Municipality.
From 1859 to 1873 he ceased to be the capital of Sinaloa, who moved to Mazatlan. Already in the Restored Republic the governor Eustaquio Buelna was faced with the merchants of the port. He returned to Culiacán and the Local Congress will again give the character of the capital of the state.
Time porfiriana and revolutionary
By 1878, Culiacan had three town Councils, whose headwaters were in Culiacan, Quilá and Badiraguato, and so remained until in 1880 Badiraguato was again the district with the boundaries that I previously corresponded.
1912 was the year in which by law were established at the Municipalities as a new form of internal government, but it is up to 1915, in which were the Directorias Policies, by entering into force of this law, causing Districts to become municipalities-free. Culiacán was established as a Municipality by decree published on April 8, 1915, comprising within its limits the present-day Municipality of Navolato, which was produced in 1982, according to the decree of the 27 of August of that year, losing in this way 2.285 km2 of the agricultural valley.
Time after the State Congress approves the extension of the name of the capital city, giving it its current official name, Culiacán Rosales, in honor of the great mexican military